I heard that married couples can transfer some of their personal allowance. How can I claim this?

HMRC announced in February 2015 that registration had opened for the new married allowance tax break which enables couples to save the sum of up to £17.66 a month (£212 a year).

The new tax relief that came into effect on 6th April 2015, allows a spouse or civil partner who has annual income of less than £10,600 to transfer up to 10% of it (£1,060) to their partner as long as they are not a higher rate taxpayer. The claim is made on a form 575, which you can find on HMRC’s website or on a self-assessment return.